- Tye Lewis
When trying to find a new drink to help me usher in 2020, I gracefully fell over a drink that many may know and drink. Sorrel, say that name slowly over and over again in your mind. Sweet, sensual, and wonderfully winter-like; this drink has the makings of being stocked in my refrigerator all year. An elixir of cinnamon, allspice, ginger and hibiscus flowers which is sweetened with raw sugar and a splash of dark rum.When I drink it, my day is washed away and evening is ushered in. This elixir has it benefits besides its divine taste.
- Cinnamon: rich in antioxidants, reduces inflammation in the body, and lowers blood sugar
- Hibiscus: helps lower blood pressure, reduce blood fat levels, and high in polyphenols
- Allspice: relieves upset stomach, relax muscles and reduce bloating
All these ingredients are needed to help destress and relax my body which helps me settle in for the evening. But please take a moment to sample the Sorrel.
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ounce fresh ginger (grated)
- 6 hibiscus tea bags
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
In a medium sauce pan bring water, allspice, cinnamon and ginger to a boil over high heat. Once water begins to boil remove from heat whisk in sugar then add tea bags. Cover and let cool. Once cool place in refrigerator overnight or for a stronger flavor up four days. Strain liquid of solids using a fine mesh sieve and transfer to a large glass contain and add rum. Keep refrigerated as you enjoy your tea.